Item Details

Maker: Berrolla

Circa: 1840

Height: 11 inches

Stock No. A

Price: POA

User Tools

Full Screen with Zoom

Print Tear Sheet

Contact us about item

Back to results page

Image Set

 

 

An early and rare giant exhibition quarter striking, calendar French carriage clock

An early and rare giant exhibition quarter striking, calendar French carriage clock

Case: The entire case with floral engraving to all surfaces including the tapering pillars with matched doric capitals and doric bases. Being surmounted by four engraved gilt ball finials and standing upon four engine turned compressed bun feet. Early giant carriage clocks are very rare, this example to date is only one of two that we know to have been made by Berrolla and to this style. Its impressive nature and height of 11 inches combined with the engraving and highly visible escapement makes this a joy to see and thought to have been made as an exhibition piece. The other example almost identical by this maker lacks the triple calendar and is front wound.

 Dial: The all over floral engraved gilt masked dial with inset white enamel dials for hours/ minutes with seconds dial at XII and having triple calendar dials below for day, date and month, being finished by a pair of fine blued fleur de lys hands. The matched gilt brass case with glazed doors to both front and back being rear wound and front setting. With glazed sides and large form gilt mounted bubble top exposing the extremely well presented escapement. 

Movement: This impressive and early giant quarter striking French carriage clock having atrain movement. Unusualy with floral border engraved back plate, with twin rear mounted bells for hour and quarter hour striking. The large format exposed escapement with blued steel helical balance spring with jewelled and engraved top balance potence and matched escape bridge, having split bimetalic balance wheel with Earnshaw type weighted compensation to its rim.

Duration: 8 days.

Literature: Joseph Fanelli, A Century of Fine Clocks, p. 54-55 and had most probably been exhibited in the Paris Exposition of 1839.